Explore DNA in class
Scientific workshops for students of secondary 1 to 5
Through the Let’s Talk Science Outreach program, teachers have the chance to invite a specially trained university student-volunteer to organize and deliver a classroom activity with students.
DNA Kit: Crime scene
In the context of a criminal investigation, students are introduced to laboratory techniques used in DNA manipulation.
- DNA (structure, fingerprints, replication)
- Scientific investigation
- Genetic typing
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
- Agarose gel electrophoresis
School level: Secondary 3 to 5
Length: 70-90 minutes
DNA 101 Workshop
Initiation to basic concepts of DNA.
- DNA and its structure
- Extracting DNA from a banana or strawberry
- Building a DNA molecule with candy
School level: Secondary 1 and 2
Length: 60 minutes